When yoga and pilates are combined, the practices will offer you a perfect balance between:
- Building strength and stability
- Mindful movement and flow
Trauma-Sensitive Yoga and pilates are transformational methods that focus on the mind, body, and spirit. Thus, many people are going to yoga and pilates studios to perform a routine on these two types of practices. However, when the generation becomes advanced, online yoga and pilates classes are offered and accessible online, making it more convenient.
What is yoga?
Yoga is an ancient or old exercise and well-being practice, it originated in India. It is a physical activity that focuses on building the body’s strength and flexibility. The practice is performed by moving into different poses, it involves:
- calm breathing techniques
All these aspects help improve your well-being. The full yoga sessions are whole-body workouts suitable to all fitness levels. Different yoga types are involved from gentle to strong poses. The most popular type of styles are
In yoga, asana is the name used for a pose. You can perform the asana (poses) by lying down, sitting, upside, or standing up.
What is pilates?
Pilates is an exercise that involves a series of body movements, performed repetitively. The moves can help improve:
- Muscle strength
A pilates instructor can design a pilates session, from easy to difficult levels and suitable to all fitness levels. The exercise is performed on a mat using body weight and small props, such as:
- resistant band
Also, pilates sessions can be performed using the equipment. The reformer is one of the most common pieces of equipment used in pilates sessions, it is a bed-like frame with a sliding carriage, pulleys, and springs to create resistance during workout sessions.
Health benefits of yoga and pilates
Yoga and pilates are good exercises to add to your weekly fitness routine due to their health and well-being benefits.
- Mental well-being. Yoga and pilates promote unique breathing techniques and mindfulness to help improve your mood, feel relaxed, and stay focused. Relaxation and mindfulness can be a part of the treatment of anyone’s mental health conditions, such as:
Yoga can be included in your mental health wellness plan. But, you should see your doctor first and ask for advice.
- Posture, joint pain, and strength. Consistent yoga and pilates sessions improve the body’s posture. A good posture helps prevent:
- back pain
- muscle aches
- other pains
Pilates focused on strengthening the core muscles that help protect against injuries.
- Injury recovery. Pilates focuses on repeating moves to correct the posture and align the body. It helps correct technique with muscle weakness when healing from an injury.
- Asthma. Yoga and Pilates can help you become more aware of your breathing. The breathing exercises are used in yoga practice. Many people with asthma find this useful for managing asthma symptoms.
Would you go for yoga or pilates, or both?