Occupational therapy is highly beneficial and necessary for many reasons. The significance of poor performance among staff members can typically be attributed to one common cause: pain and discomfort. Anything from uncomfortable chairs to incorrect workwear can contribute to how you feel in the workplace throughout the day, but thanks to occupational therapy, you can address these causes and rectify them with sustainable management and prevention.
It’s easy to think if your job isn’t physically demanding that you can’t sustain an injury, but office workers experience just as many problems as high-performance athletes due to sedentary behaviour, physical inactivity and other lifestyle contributors.
However, occupational therapy works on identifying the workplace habits that are causing these issues and provides understanding on how to resolve them. So, get in touch with Habit Health for a holistic approach to improving the health of your workforce!
Intervene Before The Problems Arise.
The unfortunate truth is that businesses are overrun by demand, and employees typically don’t address their physical discomfort before it’s too late. So, what may start as a dull pain eventually becomes an issue requiring medical attention, and you’re forced to take time off from work. It causes issues for both the business and the employee, but this is why early intervention is so important.
Health in the workplace has come to the forefront in recent years, and we are now seeing businesses prioritising ergonomics and healthy habits among their staff. Sure, it’s great to have a make-your-own juice bar and provide standing desks, but wellness in the workplace extends further than surface-lying healthy habits.
Musculoskeletal disorders are more common now in office-bound employees than ever before, and these rising numbers are a cause for concern. However, an occupational therapist understands the strains and complications caused by poor working habits and the contributing factors that lead to musculoskeletal problems and can provide a tailored strategy to prevent these issues going forward.
A healthy and knowledgeable workforce starts with awareness, so invest in their welfare and productivity with occupational therapy from Habit Health.
Early Signs Of Musculoskeletal Disorders.
If you work behind a desk, you are most likely well-acquainted with the stiffness that comes with the job. However, prolonged inactivity and poor work habits can take a toll, resulting in musculoskeletal problems.
The pain can vary from being acute (sudden and severe) or chronic (long-lasting) and can also be localised to one area of your body or affect your entire body altogether.
It’s important to address your symptoms as early as possible, so if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, consider discussing occupational therapy with your employer:
- Aching and stiffness. Long periods of inactivity will often lead to stiff and aching muscles and joints. Typically, joint pain improves with rest and worsens with activity.
- Burning sensation in the muscles. Poor posture is a common culprit of sore muscles and can cause various complications throughout the spine. In addition, the extra strain on your muscles can result in a burning sensation and may lead to inflamed nerves.
- If you’ve been ignoring your workplace pain and discomfort, you may begin to experience fatigue and a general loss of energy.
- Sleep disturbances. When your body is tired, aching, and stiff, getting a good night’s rest can be challenging. Your joints hurt when you move, and you may have pain that prevents you from drifting off.
- Many things can cause a headache, and you may not think anything of it, but when your headaches become persistent and affect your performance, it may be a sign of a more serious problem. An occupational therapist will be able to identify the root cause and offer assistance to alleviate your discomfort.
Healthy habits in the workplace are just as important as they are at home, which is why occupational therapy should be available to address common issues arising from office routines.
So, let us come in to create awareness among your staff and provide a healthy work strategy that improves their wellness and productivity.
Get in touch with Habit Health today for excellent occupational therapy services!